Friday, February 7, 2014

About Today: What Are These Folk Singing About?

If you can't see this email, click here

About


My kids come to me for answers. You know, why did she say that to me (sometimes people lose their temper, wait a day and it'll be okay), how does this work (microwaves speed up the molecules in the food and heat it up from the inside), what should I do here (carry the one). When it comes to death, and specifically after death, I have to rely on my friend Iris. She tells me to tell them to, "let the mystery be."

The Infamous Angel
Iris Dement has a love or leave it voice. I, however, feel a little of both: I love it so much, I'll never leave it.
Search Related Topics:  iris dement  women in folk music  singer-songwriters

The Next Dylan
We can debate whether John made it that far, but there is no denying his greatness.
Search Related Topics:  john prine  singer-songwriters  folk-pop artists

Who is Joan Baez?
I know nothing about Joan Baez other than a couple of songs. But to hear that her background is "Mexican, English, and Scottish, and she grew up in a Quaker household" makes me appreciate our melting pot more than ever.
Search Related Topics:  joan baez  singer-songwriters  protest music

For Pete
How do you not talk about Pete Seeger? The more you read about the man, you find out he walked the walk of the songs he sang. I hope you get to lay that hammer down now, Pete. Others will swing it now.
Search Related Topics:  pete seeger  the weavers  protest music


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Flatten Your Stomach With These Jeans
How to Childproof Your iPad
Moroccan Chicken and Apricot Tagine
It's a Law: Cream Cheese Goes With Carrot Cake
How to Make an Instant Terrarium
Have You Fallen for These Tourist Scams?

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2014 About.com
 
 
Follow us on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment